Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

That's a lot of bull......I mean cow!


Our first grass fed beef finally ended up at the processing facility!  She almost loaded herself on the trailer.  Every time until now this has been to move her to new pasture.  Danielle helped me back it up to the loading dock while Sarah Katherine snoozed in the truck.




This was the long alleyway that lead to the are where the animals go to be processed.  I couldn't help recalling a scene from the movie the Green Mile and whispering to myself, "Dead Cow Walking" as we moved her down the lane to her pen.  Sorry, it's just the way my mind works.

               
One last look as we close the door to her pen.  She has spent 14 good months living on the farm with no traveling on tractor trailers to put her closer to feed and being on dirt in a feedlot with 200,000 other head of cattle.  She has spent her days grazing and lounging in the sun with plenty of grass and fresh water.  I know that if I were a cow I would definitely choose the latter of the two scenarios.  


No pictures for the next steps.  It is a reality of animal agriculture and I can say that all of the folks at Northwest handle things as humanely and sanitary as possible.  I know that it is a personal decision to eat meat and I feel it is a God given right.  I can say that I am proud to eat the meat we raise because I know how the animals are treated and raised.  
This is how may boxes of beef were produced from the slaughter of one cow.  WOW!  Her dressing percentage was great and we have a lot of delicious beef.  We fired up our Big Green Egg and had two delicious steaks!  If you would like some of the beef e-mail us and let us know.  Also, if you want a Big Green Egg let me know as well.  Clear Creek Farm Supply is a retailer of this fabulous cooker.  Danielle bet me I couldn't write this blog without mentioning that.....and now I have to cook supper for a week.  She knows me too well!

No comments:

Post a Comment